Friday, June 25, 2010

6/27 SCOTT SISTERS UPDATE!


















Greetings all,

The prison sends out visitation lists two times a year and Gladys mailed one to Mrs. Rasco that she never received. Now the state of Mississippi is trying to keep Mrs. Rasco from visiting Gladys at any cost. This is truly ridiculous because they know that she has been visiting her there for the past 15 years! The next time forms will be sent is October, but it's not even guaranteed that she will receive it or be able to get onto the list because of the way she is being treated. At this rate, she may not even be able to see Gladys until next year!

Please contact Christopher Epps and tell him that Mrs. Rasco needs another form sent to her right away so that she can get in to see Gladys!
--------

Jamie and Gladys were visited by a mutual friend on June 17. Gladys was in good spirits and happy about the fast in Wash, DC on June 21. Jamie was feeling weak initially but after 2 1/2 hrs. began to feel better and optimistic about the future. Sometimes the hot temperatures in Quik Bed make it difficult for her to breathe. The health department has investigated Quik Bed and found the area to be extremely hot and gave the prison officials a date in which restroom repairs had to be completed. Jamie says that her dialysis is going better than before. Jamie and Gladys send their love and are thankful for the efforts
of everyone.
---------

The 6/21 Gray-Haired Witnesses Fast for Justice began at the Department of Justice with a small but spirited protest and speak-out against the prison industrial complex, the disparity in arrests, sentencing and treatment during and after incarceration, particularly of Black people. Supporters came from as far as Boston and Mississippi to proclaim that the Scott
Sisters be released from prison, as well as all those suffering under the MDOC system, one of the worst prison systems for medical care in the country. Later that afternoon at Lafayette Park, the energy was still very high and a lot of information was shared with attendees and passersby.

View some of the photos at: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4491610&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=122487714448868&aid=-1&oid=122487714448868&id=524327824
http://www.grayhairedwitnesses.blogspot.com! Thanks so much to all who supported in any way at all, stay tuned for next steps!
---------

The following poignant letters were sent in for the rally:

A Letter from Jamie Scott
From Inside the Central Mississippi State Prison
Pearl, MS

June 17, 2010

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank each of you for your support in helping my sister, Gladys and me. It seems as if the fight will never end. I never want to lie to any of you, the truth is, at this time my heart is so heavy and tired. How does this happen in a country that is suppose to be free? With the loss of my kidneys, my hypertension, and diabetes, I cry a lot these days. I ask God to please help me because it seems like I am losing my mind. As July approaches, I feel so guilty to be thankful for turning 38 years old, because that’s the day in 2008 my sister died and I had to go to her gravesite shackled like an animal.

I’ve been robbed of so much by the state of Mississippi until I can’t feel anymore. But in the midst of this pain, I do also feel the love and support from each of you. Please stay strong in your stand for justice. One day we shall overcome. I just pray my day won’t be too late. I am sorry I couldn’t write more now but you will hear from me again.

Love,

Jamie Scott

--------------------------------------

A Letter from Gladys Scott
From Inside the Central Mississippi State Prison
Pearl, MS

June 17, 2010

To All of My Supporters,

I would like to thank you for helping Jamie and me fight for justice. Life is not easy but I know with God’s Help, He will see me through. As I write this letter, I feel so much joy and happiness because I have prayed for this day when people hear our cries but at the same time, my heart is sad because my sister, Jamie is fighting daily for her life. I have been behind these prison walls for almost 16 years. I have seen many people come and go through these prison gates. I’ve seen some folks who walked in later being carried out in body bags and hearses because of the terrible medical care received here in the Mississippi penal system. I pray my sister, Jamie will walk out of here and lead a normal life with her health restored. Yes, I want freedom and justice for both Jamie and me. I am so grateful for all the cards, letters and support of the people. Everyday, I feel the love through your prayers. If it weren’t for your support, I don’t think that I could go on much longer. So thank you and we will see justice one day soon.

Love,

Gladys

-----------------------------------

Statement from Mrs. Evelyn Rasco:

I would like to thank all of the Gray-Haired Witnesses for the stand that they took on behalf of Jamie and Gladys and all women that are locked down in Pearl, Mississippi and all around the world. What has been done to Jamie and Gladys is the greatest injustice that could be done to a human being. In 1994 Jamie and Gladys were sentenced to two life sentences each with no chance of parole for 20 years. On Oct. 7 they will have been in prison for 16 years. Judge Marcus Gordon ran one of the most inhumane courts in the land. He used our justice system to express his hate for the Rasco name and will have given Jamie and Gladys a death sentence if they are not freed. How can someone get a double life sentence when the alleged victums say you didn't rob them and never held a gun on them -- how can a jury find them guilty? Because they were seen as guilty when they first walked into the court of Judge Marcus Gordon. The part that really hurts me is that my oldest son has been in the military for 29 years and is on a second tour to Afghanistan to fight for a country that has taken his sisters' lives and will not give them justice. What has our justice system come to? It must be reformed. Our black women are dying in prison, our white women are dying, and our children are being destroyed.

===================

The national NAACP is sending out an e-mailer announcing their upcoming convention and asking which issues they should focus on and what questions they should address there. Please log-in to http://action.naacp.org/YourIdeas and write the question as something similar to: "When is the NAACP going to join the growing national and international movement for justice for the Scott Sisters of Mississippi?" and include the website "http://freethescottsisters.blogspot.com" as the theme. The Convention is just a few weeks away, so please do this action as soon as possible and pass the word!
===================

6/27 -- SUPER SUNDAY ALL DAY EXCLUSIVE SPECTACULAR -- THE SCOTT SISTER'S MODERN DAY LYNCHING ON HARAMBEE RADIO - www.harambeeradio.com
======================

Write some encouraging words to Jamie and Gladys (for commissary donations go to http://www.inmatedeposits.com, register for Access Corrections and use each of their name and number to make your donation):

Gladys Scott, #19142
CMCF/B-Bldg.
P.O. Box 88550
Pearl, MS 39288-8550

Jamie Scott, #19197
CMCF/2A-B-Zone
P.O. Box 88550
Pearl, MS 39288-8550

------------------------------

Please continue to advocate on behalf of Jamie and Gladys Scott, their children and families need for them to return home alive, the time is NOW!

Attorney General Eric Holder
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
HOTLINE: 202-353-1555
PHONE: 202-514-2000
202-307-6777 fax
AskDOJ@usdoj.gov

Mrs. Rasco needs to visit her daughter, Gladys, Christopher Epps, get her the necessary form so that she can get back on the list!

Christopher Epps
601-359-5600
CEPPS@mdoc.state.ms.us
723 North President Street
Jackson, MS 39202

Governor Haley Barbour
P.O. Box 139
Jackson, Mississippi 39205
1-877-405-0733 or 601-359-3150
Fax: 601-359-3741
(If you reach VM leave msgs, faxes, and please send letters)

No comments:

Post a Comment